Friday, March 15, 2013

Sketches


 When I was 13 or 14, I begged for painting classes. There was this art school, special for young people, where I would go 1 time a week. You would start with HB and B pencils, move on to colored pencils, then charcoal, pastels and finally, oil painting. I think I only ever made it to charcoal or pastels. Actually, now that I think of it, as an 8 year old, one of my uncles who is a photographer / artist  / graphic designer gave me lessons at home for a few months. Then,  in high school, every semester it was mandatory that we choose extracurricular activities which could be sports, writing, choir, art, drama, dancing... For a few semesters, again, I took painting.

I really enjoyed these classes, but to be honest, I never took this creative side of mine seriously. It was the sciences that were drawing me hard, and that's the direction I went into, without any doubts. However this itch was always in me. I remember, when I first went to Paris, with my 2 best friends from college, back in early 2000, we would each spare money (by not eating anything other than the free breakfast at the youth hostel and a baguette sandwich the whole day) to get us treats. I got myself a box of 12 soft pastels, and since then, I always had them, and some ingres fabriano paper with me. All through my university years. Except, I did choose quite intense studies and I never gave myself or made the time to paint. Which was why I decided to undust this side of me and take some lessons, this time, in a technique similar to watercolor.

Do you have any hidden passions that you have never really pursued or taken seriously? Aside from painting, I would have loved to be a journalist.

PS, come back later in the day for a surprise. 

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're taking the time to explore your hidden talents! I like to play with a lot of artsy stuff...Oil painting and collage especially. I say 'play' because for me it really does feel like when I was a kid making a mess with finger paints. But it's so much fun! And very meditative at the same time. When I was younger I used to work in a pottery studio, and using the wheel was so wonderful. If I had the means, I'd like to get back to that. Also, I've always wanted to learn to play acoustic guitar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, it feels like playtime and it is relaxing. Baking and painting are the things that calm me down... that actually manage to turn my brain off.
      Pottery sounds like fun.
      You should pursue some of those passions / hobbies. Maybe guitar?

      Delete
  2. I miss singing which I used to do all the time and I have been eyeing up a distance learning course in children's illustration.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh children's illustration! You should totally do it, books for kids are so beautiful. And singing is fun too, I was in choir for a few years and I loved it.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you have the opportunity to pursue painting now! I guess for a long time, writing was my hidden passion, but I am now actively pursuing it, so maybe it is time to dig up a memory of another hidden desire to pursue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great that you are actually pursuing writing, in a professional way, and in a way that also includes your passion for science :)
      Exploring these hidden sides of ours can be very fulfilling. Life gets so hectic though, we really have to make time for them. Even for reading actual books, I have to make time. (Otherwise I just get sucked in reading other stuff, cooking.... )

      Delete
  4. That picture is awesome - the shading and depth are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am glad you liked it ! I was quite happy with the anchor and the starfish! I was doubting if I should have added more lilac / purplish tones to the octopus.

      Delete
  5. I also always wanted to be an artist. I took classes in school and out of school and even kept taking them in college. I especially loved watercolor. But then, in grad school, I kind of lost the creative side of me. The side that liked to paint and write. Sad. I like to think I'm rediscovering her a bit nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are already writing ! And I have discovered (of course through unemployment, so it's a silver lining) that we have to schedule, make time, find the time to pursue these things. Otherwise you just go with the motions and you keep wanting to do these things but never find a when.
      In grad school / university you are so so busy that it is difficult to make those spaces.

      Delete

I love your comments, let's talk .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...