Friday, April 19, 2013

Of time capsules and questionnaires.


My best friend, the historian, surprised me with something completely unexpected. As I opened a brown little parcel that came from across the ocean (all the way from Bolivia!), I did not expect what I was going to find.

"A time capsule is a historic cache of goods or information, usually intended as a method of communication with future people and to help future archaeologists, anthropologists or historians." 

When I removed the paper and found an old journal from 2001 it was like traveling back in time, to my 3rd year out of home, my 2nd at university.  This friend is the one who incited me to write journals (of which I have at least 8) and initiated me in the art of collecting useless trinkets for future recollection. Funny, in many ways I'm still the same, and in many others I just want to tell that girl to "don't do that".


And speaking of friends, old and new, the lovely Bex and Roz, from The Olive Dragonfly, whose support has meant more than they know, have nominated me for a blogger award. I felt so honored (and I kind of love these games). You know how it goes, you say some random things about yourself, you answer some questions, you pass it along. For the random facts I am going to cheat by leading you here and here (I promise you, you'll find what you want) and I will show you some  pages of my life from October through December 2001.


As for their questions, here you go:

What is your favourite song in the whole world and why? 
Difficult question. A happy song from Mika: "Lollipop"? "The origin of Love"? Or some old song from the 90s: The Cranberries' "Daffodil lament", REM's "Losing my religion". Or Suzanne Vega's "Gypsy". Yes, most probably that last one. All of these songs remind me of moments, some make me happy, some take me back in time. It's like our lives have a soundtrack.

If you were invisible, where would you go?
Mmm... I guess I would go to an ice-cream shop to steal some? Or skip lines and get myself to the front everywhere, no waiting for me please.

What is your favourite way to relax?
Baking. Or having a cup of tea, and reading a book (though lately I have trouble just letting myself sinked in, my mind is constantly busy). Taking long walks with the boy is also a good method. And nothing beats a warm shower.

Salted or sweet?

Sweet for sure. I didn't even have to think. But give me some tzatziki and I'll eat it in one go.


What was the last film that really moved / disturbed / thrilled you and why?
This is going to sound silly, but I cried helplessly  after "The odd life of Timothy Green". It's a Disney movie for adults and it ends well. Yet it made me so sad. It touched all our soft spots:  how badly we want our baby to come, how painful it is not knowing what will be, why, or, if it will at all happen. While the world keeps turning, while you start thinking you must be an alien.

What book are you reading right now?

The God of Small things, by Arundhati Roy. I am still not yet halfway, but it has a way of capturing you, taking you to India, feel what the characters are feeling. It slowly introduces you to the people in the story, all members of a family, and you know something happened that changed them, but it's kept a secret as you read.

What would you call yourself if you could choose your own name?

Yulia, I think. It was going to be my name until a last-minute change of mind.

If you could have any animal / creature, what would be your ultimate pet?
A unicorn. An ocelot. And while we're at it, a miniature goat too.

What's the next planned event you're looking forward to in your life?
We're going to California yeah! (Or should I say getting pregnant and having our own baby? That's what I really want. I'm just putting it there for superstitious reasons, you know in case wishing for things out loud is some kind of magic. See I am still the innocent girl from 12 years ago).

What was your favourite toy as a child....and now?

Then, roller skates. An ice-cream maker that didn't really make ice-cream. Or My Rainbow Brite doll. Now... it's probably my KitchenAid.

When was the last time you cried laughing and why?
When I am really sad the boy always finds a way to say something funny and crack me up. Silly cats make me laugh as well. This was the last one, the boy says I'm just like that. (Enough is enough). My mom agreed. (You might have to refresh the link for it to work).



And now, if you would like to be part of this, just feel free to answer these questions. But I am passing it to those who I think will most likely answer : 


And my questions are: If you could live anywhere, where would that be? Given the chance, which magic power would you choose? If the genie-of-the-lamp appeared to you, what would you ask? Do you recommend any books? What made you start blogging? What is making you happy right now? What is your favorite food? Favorite fairy-tale? Are you a nomad or do you feel bound to your "roots"? The best place you've ever visited? Happiest memory from childhood?

12 comments:

  1. Que bello diario, a mi también me gusta guardar recuerdos, besos
    Sofía

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias :) Sí la verdad es que es muy valioso, ya me imagino cuando seamos abuelitas!

      Delete
  2. I love that diary time capsule! Not sure I'd want to read the one I wrote as a teenager though - it's probably in the attic somewhere!

    So glad you enjoyed filling in the meme, I love reading them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I know... I was reading some parts and I was like : "wow was I childish, naive, boy-obsessed and I couldn't even write without intersecting a "haha" every 2 sentences". But it's part of what has made me me today... and I don't think I am that different now (oops). Growing up. Never caught up on that.

      Thanks again for the nomination!

      Delete
  3. Oh, how exciting! I'll be doing this tomorrow.

    That looks like a very fun diary! I think mine was full of drama, not even sure where it is now! Probably for the best, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice :)

      And thanks, this one was full of drama as well. I think that year was the most dramatic in my life. Haha. Yeah some parts I didn't want to remember.

      Delete
  4. Me encanta el diario. Que especial. Yo tengo mios de mi pasado, pero ne he escrito hace muchos anos. Especialmente me gustan las plumas y hojas y cosas raras incluidas in las paginas de tus recuerdos.

    Oh, and thank you for your nomination! I love your questions. I will put it on my list to make a post about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias ! Sí, yo deje de escribir tal vez hace 4 años. Pero sigo guardando artículos de periódico, boletos de tren, mapas, tickets. Tengo 3 cajas llenas y debo parar!

      Nice :) Looking forward to read your post!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for reminding me, I saw this the other day and completly forgot about it. Great questions, I'll have it posted tomorrow. Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm curious to read your answers!

      Delete
  6. Thanks Amanda! Your journal looks stunningly beautiful. I need to start hand writing more. I may take me a few days to get my post ready. I hope we can find a way to meet up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we should definitely meet up!

      And thanks :) (Also don't worry, post it when you are ready!)

      Delete

I love your comments, let's talk .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...