Monday, April 15, 2013

Ephemerous summer


And just out of the blue the sun decided to shine and warm us up. I am talking about 20ºC-celsius-degrees. The feeling was better than that of a holiday. Happiness was floating in the air. The boy and I went for a very long walk, there was light until 21h. I was wearing a sleeveless top and he kept looking at me like he had never seen me before. He says the sun changes me, that I was made for it. That I looked better, that I was glowing. I certainly was ecstatic to finally be able to take away the million layers of sweaters I have to wear or else I freeze.


Oh N-acetyl-methoxytryptamine, I love how you make us feel. Arguably the most primitive part of our brain, the pineal gland, evolutionary speaking as old as the lamprey eels (a group of jawless fish), is still going strong, still has strong effects over us.

Photo from Reuters via The telegraph.

And finally, finally, some flowers are starting to bloom and I saw some buds showing their faces at the end of long branches. A ladybug decided to sit in my hands for more than 25 minutes. I am not exaggerating. She stayed in my hand while I walked, she strolled over my hand, and then finally, she flew away. I am taking her as a definite sign. I might have given her a name. You can take this as proof that I am completely losing my mind.



I do recall, when I first arrived in Switzerland, how much it amused me the way this Europeans were obsessed with the sun, like ring-tailed lemurs, the sun worshippers, running, heading out, when according to me it was not even warm at all. Now I understand. Now I'm just like them, wearing my summer clothes as soon as I can, because it might be my last chance. Was it warm in your corner of the World? How did you enjoy the weather? *


** Second image: Melatonin's functions summarized adapted from Hardeland, R., Cardinali, D., Srinivasan, V., Spence, D., Brown, G., & Pandi-Perumal, S. (2011). Melatonin—A pleiotropic, orchestrating regulator molecule Progress in Neurobiology, 93 (3), 350-384 DOI: 10.1016/j.pneurobio.2010.12.004 via Ego Sum Daniel

14 comments:

  1. Curioso, curioso, ayer justo veía un programa sobre el reloj interno, el ciclo circadiano y lo ya bien sabido, cómo nos afecta el exceso de tiempo en interiores y luz artificial (de hecho hay estudios sobre cáncer atribuido a ello); y por otro lado también hablábamos de que nos sigue sorprendiendo que los españoles, que tienen mejores climas de los que tu mencionas, son como "lagartijas" (con cariño ja, ja, no se ofendan) y es que ven salir el sol y les cambia hasta el humor en 5 minutos.

    Impresionante lo de la primavera. Acá desde el sábado con 25º C, por ahora lo llevo muy bien, estos son mis límites disfrutables :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que chistoso definitivamente estamos conectadas. Es impactante el efecto del clima, en México y otros países cálidos ni "notamos" el efecto pero a la vez estoy casi convencida que es lo que vuelve a la cultura tan abierta y amigable.

      Espero que no suban mucho las temperaturas por alla para que no te agobie el calor!

      Me llegó tu postal, preciosa! Mil gracias! Y que lindo saber que El albergue de las mujeres tristes está recorriendo el mundo por correo.

      Delete
  2. Amanda! Thank you so much for all your kind comments. I'm so glad I met you yesterday! I'm also super glad it was sunny. Too bad it's raining today. The Netherlands has Bi-Polar weather. I'm looking forward to reading through your blog! I hope i see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also super glad we met. Sunshine is precious, we never appreciate it until you know that you miss it.
      Bi-Polar is definitely the description for Dutch weather, it definitely changes a lot, sometimes even in one day! And hoping to meet again soon!

      Delete
  3. Dutch weather has me seriously jealous. We had ice storms last week. Granted, today we're heading up past 10*C, but it's hard to think about summery warmth when we just had a major winter storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ice-storms. Well don't get too jealous, we only get sparse day like that every now and then and they always come as a complete, unexpected surprise, after which it goes back to gray, windy, rainy. I do hope the weather will get better in Canada soon! And you get real summers, if I am correct?

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited you finally had some good weather! Just yesterday my family was telling me that the sun changes me as well, I was definitely born for it! :D

    Hopefully you continue to have awesome sunny days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... it must be in our genes!

      Hoping too, yesterday was warm but not as warm, today is looking good (for now). We'll see.

      Delete
  5. Wow, summer in April! The weather affects us so much, it definitely affects my mood - when it's sunny out, I am all smiles.

    So glad you go to enjoy the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice, we had ice-cream, we walked, we discovered some new pretty streets in our neighborhood. It felt like being on vacation.

      Delete
  6. una PIm pAm PUm .......( mariquita en espanol)...ayy si yo tambien estoy requete contenta con el col y el calorsito ya parezco europea juajajajjaja.....si fuera primavera todo el ano........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pim Pam Pum? Que curioso. En México les decimos catarinas, en España mariquitas, y me parece que hay aún más nombres.

      Si fuera primavera todo el año... :)

      Delete
  7. I know what you mean about the effects of the sun. It's amazing how much of an impact it can have on our moods, our health...everything. In "sunny California" it's been dreary lately, but there is sun forecast for this weekend!

    Btw, I always love your pictures. You are very child-like in a good way. As in, embracing the world and being amazed by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope the sun reaches sunny California soon !

      Thanks :) I am definitely in touch with my inner 5 year old. (Ask Mark about my tantrums hehe, not really).

      A part of me is fascinated by childhood, wishes in ways the world could stay as magic as it was then. This article describes it well, I could have written it. (Well I wish I could have, her words are beautiful).

      Delete

I love your comments, let's talk .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...