Friday, July 19, 2013

The Breakfast Club: Liquorice and Pumps

 As I try to find ways of eating a more healthy and varied breakfast I decided to ask a few of my internet friends and readers to share their favorite breakfast. (My usual breakfast is  almost always the same, bread, butter, tea and some sort of jam). Today I am delighted to bring you fun-loving Louise Elisabeth from Liquorice and Pumps. By the way, I would be thrilled if you would like to participate in this weekly series, in which case, just send a breakfast themed post to: poppiesandicecream@gmail.com


  When Amanda asked me to write about my breakfast habits I was totally honored. Me, writing about healthy delicious food, who would have thought? OK, so this asks for some background information: I used to be overweight, I still am a bit but I've lost around 33 lbs (15 kg) this year by changing my life. I think about what I eat, about healthy choices, but also about exercise. The devil is in the details, like taking the stairs in stead of the elevator.


Back to the beginning of all beginnings: breakfast. I can't start the day without a healthy breakfast. I have to work and study all day so I need a good base. My perfect breakfast contains: water, dairy produce (for my calcium levels), fibers, fruit, veggies and vegtable oil. Here is an example:


-Eggs scrambled with tomatoes, cooked in a teaspoon of arachide oil (I use a frying pan with non-stick coating)
-0% fat quark with a chopped peach (try some different brands of quark, some can be quiet sour but there are some really yummy options out there. The biological ones are usually very good)
-Whole-weat crackers (the extra fiber option)
-And my favorite tea, Moroccan herbs :D


Here are some tips:
  1. Take your time! It is totally worth it. It stops your belly from growling for cookies at 11 o'clock ;-)
  2. Try to minimize prefabricated stuff, they have so many weird additives. I have no idea what E numbers do or mean but cave men certainly didn't ingest them, so I guess I'm safe to avoid them ;-)
  3. Vary. Keep it interesting for yourself (and your family). Try different brands, different veggies and fruits (just found out Chinese cabbage isn't that tasty with scrambled eggs :p)
  4. Make it last: rye bread has loads of  fibers and is considered a healthy option. But if I had to eat it everyday I would go mental! So just find out what suits you and take in account tip 3 ;-)
I hope you enjoyed my fairly messy blog post and feel inspired to start your day healthy and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, let's talk .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...