Monday, December 3, 2012

December is here

I can't believe how fast time goes. Yeah, yeah, we say it all the time, and every year we arrive at this moment wondering what we did and where it all went. But cliché as it sounds, this is really how I feel. Whoah. December, really? I noticed a few weeks ago, when I organized a dinner with friends for the 1st weekend of December and out of 22 people, only 4 could make it. Everyone was fully booked: either with family, or on trips to all kinds of places: Aruba, Cologne, Münich, Berlin. The busy season is here, and I have to say, I love it. I just wonder why we don't make time for friends and family more often during the year. I know we do, or at least, we try, but these days are just, well intense. For those of you who are reading in Holland and still have some free space in your agendas, I put up a short list of events to attend if you wish to get into the festive mood:

-On 11 of December, in Gouda, you should definitely go to Kaarsjesavond (Gouda bij Kaarslicht), in remembrance of St. Lucy. I was there last year, and it is absolutely beautiful, magical even. As was put beautifully by Ellie on a recent discussion abouth faith (or not) and its relationship to holidays in APW:

"I think of Christmas and other holidays at this time as part of a greater festival of lights, as part of a universal human experience – that when the days get short and the nights are long, we need the light, we need the cheer, and we need those feelings of peace and joy more than ever – and we yearn for renewal and growth that comes with each passing year.

-Then, on the weekend of the 15 and 16 of December, there is the Dicken's festival in Deventer. I haven't been there yet, but it really must be quite impressive, there is a market and Christmas festival with more than 900 characters from Charles Dickens' novels brought to life in the city center.

-From the 16 to the 23 of December, there is a Christmas market in Valkenburg that takes place in underground caves. There will also be a parade and a visit from Santa Claus. 

-And on the 23 of December, The National Ballet of Kiev will perform The Nutcracker at the Rijswijkse Schouwburg, in Rijswijk.

I am officially getting in the Christmas mood, and that means at the moment I'm listening to my favorite Christmas Carol. How about you? Are you some kind of Christmas elf or do you feel more like a Grinch?

10 comments:

  1. Time goes too fast... and too furious, I would say! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, now I am thinking of Cowboy movies and the wild wild west.

      Delete
  2. I am 100% in Christmas mood since beginning of November :)
    I am and have always been an Elf, despite growing up with a huge grinch in the family (my father). This is my favorite time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow since the beginning of November. I do love the holidays with all of my heart, but i *know I can't even start decorating the house until mid-December (the boys' rules), so it does not really help to get all carried away.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your warm and welcoming comment on my blog. I am looking forward to exploring yours some more. So nice to meet you. I do love this community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too, I will be reading you, hope you like it here, welcome :)

      Delete
  4. Hola Amanda, qué lindos deben estar esos eventos navideños en Holanda! Descubrí tu blog hace poco leyendo Wedding Graduates de APW y de ahí he seguido leyéndote aunque por primera vez comento. Yo soy de Puebla, México y mi esposo es canadiense, por éso me identifiqué un poco con tu post en APW. Ahora vivimos en Puebla pero pronto nos mudaremos a otro país y quiero comenzar un blog, sólo que estoy súper indecisa entre si escribir en español o en inglés, la pregunta es muy boba! Pero tú cómo te decidiste a escribir en inglés?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, que bueno que comentas :) Puebla es super bonito, mi mejor amiga estudió en la UDLA, así es que muchos veranos ahí me la pasaba. Yo me decidí a escribir en inglés para practicar por un lado, y por otro, para que sea accesible al mayor número de personas, no únicamente a países hispanohablantes. A veces todavía lo dudo, o considero la opción de escrbir los posts tanto en inglés como en español, pero no me decido.
      Cuando empieces tu blog avísame para seguirte. Suerte con la mudanza a otro país, vivirás muchas aventuras (Puedes leer los consejos de Fiona de Far Far Away... hizo una serie sobre el tema: 31 days to embrace expat life)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the holidays, and I can't wait to get over to my family's place and really start the celebrating.

    Thanks for your kind comment at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're here... and yeah, celebrations and family reunions are the best.

      Delete

I love your comments, let's talk .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...