Sunday, June 3, 2012

Apple crumble

 Last week we had a few sad apples lying lonely in our fruit bowl, so I thought I'd make something out of them. It wasn't long before I decided to make an apple crumble, it brings memories from my aunt who taught me how to make it. It is actually very easy and you can make it with apricot, prunes or red fruits as well. I knew the recipe more or les by heart so the quantities are approximative. Once you get the hang of it you can also "eye" the ingredients (a "ojo de buen cubero").

You will need 
3 or 4 apples, peeled and cut in cubes.
200 gr flour
200 gr butter (cold and cut in cubes)
200 gr sugar (or less if you don't have such a sweet tooth)
cinammon, ginger and nutmeg (powdered)

Here's what to do
Preheat oven to 180ºC. In a pan with a little bit of water (just a thin layer) cook the apple cubes until they soften a bit (not very much, since they will also spend a while in the oven). If you like, you can add a branch of cinammon and some sugar to the pan where you'll simmer the apples. In the meantime, put the flour and the cubes of cold butter together in a bowl and rub in the butter in the flour using your hands. (Here is a video explaining how tu rub butter in flour). Once the butter-flour mixture resembles bread crumbs add the sugar, sprinkle the cinammon, ginger and nutmeg to your taste and mix. Butter an oven dish, put the apple in the bottom and top it with the crumble mixture. Put in the oven for 40-45 min, or until the top is golden brown and you see the fruit bubbling from the sides. You can also use the broiler for the last minute or two to get a nice color. And voilà. Enjoy with clotted cream, or even better, ice-cream.

8 comments:

  1. jajajaja... demasiado buena tu foto de niñita esperando que esté listo el pie!
    Que bueno se ve eso! Menos mal que estás lejos porque este fin de semana tuve calorías de más! Me toca reducción de ellas! uuuuups!
    Que lo disfruten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias ! Jaja, si estaba ansiosa esperando a que se dorara bien ! Y si ya se... me encanta hacer dulces pero tengo que parar !

      Delete
  2. 1) Ooooh, tasty..
    2) I wish Beloved hadn't tossed out the three somewhat wrinkly apples from our fruitbowl.
    3) The picture where you try to look into the oven is so cute :)It catches that sense of anticipation perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it next time you have fruit around. I love how you call your dear partner Beloved it's so sweet. And yeah, I was waiting waiting waiting. And then we had to let it cool down a bit.

      Delete
  3. Amanda que cute eres! I also check my pies like that in order not to open the oven a million times. Also -- we're in Mexico right now with family. It'd be great if you were here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Graciaaas ! Oh Mexico, enjoy it so much ! I know, would be great to meet. I hope you and cowboy are enjoying the sights, the food, the weather... and that all in Montana is good !

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm I love crumble! I like it with milk, which I know is weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I wonder, I guess it is kind of like cereal with fruit there? Shouldn't be bad, I love milk like a little calf.

      Delete

I love your comments, let's talk .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...