Monday, February 3, 2014

Seeking advice: Breast milk pumping (# Medela Pump in Style)


I am calling out all mom's who have experience with electrical breast pumps. In order to have my milk production synchronized with our beautiful baby girl, I pump at her feeding times, every 3 hours (6 am, 9 am, 12 pm, 15 pm, 18 pm, 21 pm and 24 pm). (Yup, I totally understand my best friends the cows to a whole other level and I have all but respect to moms who manage to pump while at work and then succeed at being efficient at their job afterwards, but more thoughts on all of this coming later).


For the last two weeks I had been using the hospital-grade pump Symphony from Medela, with its strong vacuum force, and I got used to it. It is very comfortable to pump with it. However, I have now being using Medela's Pump in Style Advanced (since last Saturday) and even if it is the strongest of pumps for home/work use available to the public it is not the same thing. And here is where you come in. I try to sit straight while I pump, but ever since using the Medela Pump In Style Advanced I have a neck pain that keeps getting worse and I do not even know what I am doing differently. For those of you who have maybe used this (or other) electrical-double-breast-pump, how did you sit? What kind of chair did you use? (I am sitting in this chair with an extra pillow in the back). All your tips and advice are welcome... I feel that if I continue like this  I will messup my neck, and we don't want that. Help!!!

PS: All three of us us are doing well. I promise the birth story and more updates will be coming soon, I know I keep saying that, but I really just have to figure out a way to schedule the time to write amongst the million things we have to do. 

*Second image source.

5 comments:

  1. I never had much success with pumping (although I learned from my mistakes and am determined to have another go at it this time!), but my sister did. She used a contraption (like this one http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17518916&cp=2255957.2273443.2255982.2256161.3243466&parentPage=family&cid=1203626 ) to hold the pumps in place so she could multi-task a bit easier. Maybe if you are craning your neck to look at the pump too much that could be causing your neck pain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had two individual medela pumps because the double one was not sold in Cyprus at the time, but i never experienced neck pain. I was sitting straight and holding the pumps with my hands...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Medela Pump In Style Advanced, and I don't get neck pain if I don't stare at the boobs/pump while I am pumping. I have all kinds of shoulder/upper back pain, but that's from holding and nursing the baby. I sit on a regular chair, similar to what you have.

    Also, is there any way you can rent the Symphony pump from the hospital or a medical supply store? It works so much better than the PISA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did have the symphony so not sure but I just cut holes in a sports bra and fed the flanges through the holes rather than getting a specific hands free one...

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, let's talk .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...