Friday, January 10, 2014

# January Joy: Plan a Room


For today's #January Joy challenge I thought I would share a sneak peek of the nursery, though it's not finished yet. We had been wanting to decorate this room for such a long time... we painted it light yellow when we moved in but we left it at that, waiting. During our darkest times I would not even dare open the door and I did not want to give it any alternative use either, having a weird irrational feeling that if we used the space for something else it would delay the process even further.


Anyhow we have been finding little bits and pieces to finally put our baby's room together.We don't really have a color scheme, except maybe: "mix all the colors". We first chose the curtains, that you've seen before. We also had a pair of flamingo wall stickers that we got in Barcelona just before I moved to Holland. At the moment we did not know where they would end up, but we knew they would be a part of our home together. When we were dating (and still now, when we travel) we visit zoos whenever we can and we always end up taking a photo with the flamingos, so they are a bit special to us. For the furniture, we knew we wanted colorful items, which are often difficult to find, or else, they are called "designer items" and priced accordingly. At the specialized shops all they had was white, gray, wood or black and was extremely expensive anyway. We chose a simple drawer chest (from the Swedish place) to be used as a changing table... that we found in red, score! We have added some porcelain knobs in different patterns to give it a quirky touch (found here).


As for the walls... we wanted to continue with the flamingo theme. After searching quite a bit we found some quite unique vintage Alice in Wonderland prints that we plan on putting in one of the bare walls. We are still waiting for them to arrive, but I am so excited to hang them. If you are interested in old-school illustrations, after our purchase I was sent a 15% discount code, that I would be happy to send away to the first person that raises their hand, so browse around and let me know.

Do you have any decoration / home improvement projects going on?

9 comments:

  1. Aww, this is so exciting Amanda! The room looks so "you" =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Amanda! Both the pictures and the fact that you're having this experience now... I remember you talking of 'the yellow room' when it was still a difficult idea for you, and to see you being able to plan for its intended use makes me SO happy :) I love that this room is very child-like, but alos unisex (because I'm really put-off, and also bored, by all the pastel baby stuff). Perfect for your little one!

    We are not planning a specific nursery yet because in all likelihood we'll be moving on from our current place before the baby is a few months old, but we're already collecting some simple little pieces (while trying not to buy into the crazy consumerism surrounding new babies). On that note, I LOVE the Babar prints I saw on the link you included, so I'm raising my hand to say, I'm interested! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, it is exciting. It's only quite recently (probably after 20 weeks) that it has all become so real. And we are so happy.

      We really wanted to keep things neutral, but we love colors. I do like *some* of the pink stuff, and have nothing against blue either (for boys or girls), but the tyranny of the blue/pink dichotomy that you see all over the place bores me too.

      I have sent you the code :) They have some really nice prints. And yes... I totally get you on trying not to fall into the consumerist trap, because we do not really know what will really be useful, so we try to stick to th eminimum. Simple little pieces sound like the best way to go :)

      Delete
  3. ME encantaaaa lo amo, cero cursi, pero lindo y las imágenes son geniales. Las de Alicia increíbles y las de los flamingos lindas. Hasta los detalles de las cajoneras. Seguro se verá increíble. Y será muy feliz en su cuarto.

    Abrazos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias :) Esas imagenes de Alicia me encantaron, son de un libro de los años 50s.

      Delete
  4. I love this sneak peek! So colorful! I can't wait to see the rest of the room as it comes together.

    We are actually hoping to finally move our baby to her room this weekend (we'll see if it actually happens), so her nursery isn't set up either, but hopefully it will get closer to being set up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope moving your little girl to her room will go smoothly ! And that the set-up goes well !

      Delete
  5. Hey! It looks like the start of a really fun and cute room! Can't wait to see the final project :) I love those flamingo wall decals! :)

    The room that will hopefully be our future nursery is now an office-y junk room! We've never really done anything with it since we always keep hoping that we'll be changing it soon. It was a makeshift guest room when we had 3 guests one time. It's just so darn depressing in there! lol

    As for home projects now, I have a bunch of furniture we picked up for free that I need to paint/distress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting furniture is the best... so satisfying to see the end product and knowing that you did it.

      I hope you will be able to turn your office into a nursery soon, keep thinking of you!

      Delete

I love your comments, let's talk .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...